Sunday, March 7, 2010

Dear Saku

Dear Saku,

This is just a quick note to let you know I'm really happy about your bronze medal at the Olympics. You and Teemu were great in the tournament. And I'm glad you two are having such a good time playing together for the Ducks.

I've always been a big fan of yours, Saku. You were a brave and loyal Hab, and you put up with your share of crap as well as the shares of half the rest of the team as well. I admire your fighting spirit and the way you prevailed in the face of injury and illness. I love the way you always seem to find a little more in the tank at playoff time and really bring it when it counts. I thought you were a classy captain and I even wrote a top ten list once, to defend you against all the idiots who thought you were less than the best choice to wear the "C". And Saku, I still miss you. I know Gomez is younger and everything, but he's not feisty like you.

So, in light of the fact that there's still a lot of love for you among Canadiens fans, I have to ask you a favour: Don't hurt our team. Please?

Yeah, I know you guys are still sort of in the playoff race in the West, but in reality, you're five points back of the Wings with the same number of games played. The chances that you're going to catch them with only eighteen games left aren't great. The Habs, on the other hand, are actually in a playoff spot, but need every point they can get to stay in it.

I'm not asking you to throw the game or anything like that. You're too honest for that, even if you felt some sympathy for the Canadiens' plight. All I'm asking is that you don't treat this game like a playoff game. Don't put yourself into that extra gear that results in crippling goals against the other team and you getting first star honours. Play hard, sure, but play NORMAL hard. Honestly, Saku, your "other" gear scares me.

I want to see you do well, but not too well. And after all, this is pretty much a new team since you were on it. Whatever score you might have wanted to settle with Lapierre is pointless because of his suspension. It wouldn't change much for you if the Habs won tonight, but it would mean the world to us.

Thanks, Saku. For everything. And, remember, don't hurt us. Please?

Hopefully yours,

J.T.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the chances of Saku's Ducks making the playoffs are not great at five points back. Let us look at the Habs. Currently in eighth yes, but the Thrashers are two points back with three games in hand. If they win all three they hold eighth with a four point lead. One point makes the difference between giving up and a playoff run? Anyway, Saku never gives up.

Anonymous said...

What happened between him and Lapierre?

moeman said...

I agree 100%.

Unknown said...

Holy crap, I forgot Chipchura's there too. We don't stand a chance! Game just started, watching now...